Trafford News Release
Safer Streets campaign
Greater Manchester’s council leaders have committed to creating enhanced shared spaces for pedestrians and people on bikes across the city-region, to enable physical distancing for safe essential journeys and exercise during the coronavirus lockdown and through recovery.
Brought together under the Safe Streets Save Lives campaign, local authorities are looking to prioritise a range of temporary measures.
In Trafford the locations selected will assist with social distancing and promote cycling and walking.
We have specifically chosen sites where the footway is narrow, and the carriageway is required to maintain social distancing. It will mean lane closures or partial closures depending on the space involved. This is subject to the appropriate funding:
- Flixton Road, Urmston, outside Malcolm’s Pharmacy
- Station Road, Urmston, outside Whittaker’s Fish & Chips and Pinocchio’s Takeaway.
- A5145 Edge Lane, Stretford, between A56 Chester Road and Kings Road. The measures will be located in both directions.
- Old Hall Lane, Sale Moor, between B5397 Dane Road and the bus stop layby near Wythenshawe Road. This measure will only be in the south-west bound direction.
- A5145 Edge Lane, Stretford, between Kings Road and Cromwell Road (at the entrance to Longford Park). This measure will only be achievable in the east bound direction.
Locations for long term options include:
- A56, Sale/Stretford – Glebelands Road to approach to Barton Road/Chester Road gyratory (Northbound) Bridgewater Way which is located next to the WCC entrance.
- A56, Sale/Stretford – Newton Street to Glebelands Road (Southbound).